Sunday, July 20, 2008

Summer Vacation with Dad


I spent a week up in Wisconsin's Rusk county this summer, with my father. We were fishing lake Amacoy and staying at the Wonderspot resort.

The weather was wonderful. Highs were in the 70s, and the nights were cool. A cold front on our first day killed the fishing a bit, but by the end of the week we had caught plenty.

There were certainly some memorable experiences, and maybe someday I'll write them out:

--Dad's first step into the boat
--The day I got to "sleep in"
--getting hit on by a drunk woman at the bar (don't ask!)
--the dumpster filled with fish refuse
--the mayfly hatch and crappie feeding frenzy, mosquitoes included

Yep, it was a great trip. Rusk county is really an odd place, in ways. I mean there are beautiful lakes there like Amacoy that are not very busy--good fishing lakes, in other words (leave the jet-ski at home, please). It really was like taking a trip back in time. I had no internet access--nor did I miss it much. I read a lot. Played games. Told stories. Caught fish. Listened to the radio.

Speaking of the radio--I was amazed at how good the djs were on the local Ladysmith station that played just the right blend of old country--70s and 80s country, mostly. Anyway, the djs were spectacular! Nowadays I don't even listen to djs anymore, and I'd forgotton how nice it can be to have a good dj say a thing or two between songs. Bits of trivia. Weather info. Sports updates.

When I got back to Colorado, I did some searching and found the station (WLDY) online. Now I can listen to it over the net whenever I want to.

No comments: