Saturday, July 19, 2008

Problem Solved!


I really want to move on to other topics soon, as there's a heck of a lot more to me than installing Linux on old computers.

On the other hand, I'd really like to have a lab of Linux computers for all my upcoming programming classes that I will be teaching, as Linux is IMO the best OS for development.

So I've been doing almost nothing else for the last couple days except inserting install cds and trying to get something to work. Was running into so many problems I thought maybe it was a hardware issue.

Perhaps it was. When I tried to install OpenSUSE, the only DVD I had, I was surprised when the whole process worked. I'm not a big fan of OpenSUSE, but it's WAY better than Windows for me, so I was relieved I'd have something I could use with my students.

Then I got to thinking--that's weird that the DVD worked when I was kinda suspecting a cd-rom drive failure in the works. Maybe, for some reason, DVD installs will work. I went to Borders and bought three current Linux magazines, each one having a DVD of various Linux stuff, including Ubuntu.

It worked. I've now got Ubuntu 7.10 up and running. Now for the rest of the old computers....

Back to blogging about other stuff now. Like cool magazines and books I'm reading.

1 comment: