Thursday, July 24, 2008

More about the power of a good book.


My last post really was not about The Mist so much as it was about how incredible the act of reading is.

The picture for this post is about a memory implant, but I like to think of it as an interface between the brain and a computer.

You see, I've always thought early attempts at virtual reality were way too dorky. I mean, the goggles and gloves phase just did nothing to thrill me.

Nope, I wanted a simstim that I could plug right into my brain stem (and then plug the other end into a Quake video game or something). Maybe I'd be in one of those sensory deprivation tanks like in Altered States. Somehow I wanted the data going directly into my brain. Any tangle of wires and goggles or foamy gloves would just get in the way.

Well, today when I took a long bike ride in the 100 degree heat, it hit me: plain old reading is a closer, more intimate interface than any movie or video game could hope for. Really, the data just goes right from the page into your brain.

Or maybe the heat was just making me silly.

No comments: