Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Creating a school website

Being in charge of a school's computer science department has several perks. I get to help shape our curriculum. I get to hang out with some of the brightest students at our school. I get to occasionally play video games and call it "research."

All of those perks are great, but being the department chair also brings great responsibility. Were I just a mere computer science "teacher", I would not feel so inclined to take on the task of implementing our new website for our STEM Initiative. But now that I'm chair, hell, it's the least I can do!

Actually, I'm joking a bit here. The fact is, I was always interested in helping to bring our new STEM website to fruition. I just knew how messy large websites can become.

Thankfully, there's Joomla.

Joomla is a content management system that allows one to create and maintain an active website. It's open source, and free. You can see the current version of my Joomla STEM and VPA site here, but it's still under construction. Still, Joomla has made it easy to do what used to be a chore when I'd write HTML and CSS from scratch...

Those were the days.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

lol video game research? Anyway, do you think if you had a website development class, you would use Joomla?

Unknown said...

I've been thinking of that. Up until now it seemed like it was too complicated to give a class on web design when there's HTML, CSS, JavaScript, AJAX, PHP, MySQL, etc.

Now, however, I'm thinking a good start in XHTML + CSS and then look at some of the options of Content Management Systems. I really didn't want to have to teach JavaScript, to be honest... :-(

Joomla is nice, though, because the XHTML and CSS are right there for you to edit. Same with Drupal.